APPLY FOR THE MASTER'S IN JOURNALISM
Deadlines and Submission Information
Applicants applying for Fall Semester Admission must have all materials filed by Feb. 1 for classes starting in August of that same year.
Applicants applying for Spring Semester Admission must have all materials filed by October 1st for classes starting in January of the next year.
Admission is determined by The Graduate Affairs Committee. The selection criteria employed places emphasis on grade point average, coursework, GRE, TOEFL for international students, letters of recommendation, and student's academic interests.
Step 1: Please complete a MSU Graduate School Application online at
http://grad.msu.edu/apply/. The fee is $50 and can be paid with credit card, check (US funds), or money order (see application for details).
Step 2: After submission and payment of the University Graduate Application please go to the College GIMS Online Application site, https://www.gims.msu.edu/gims/cas/apply/welcome.do, and create your online account. You will need your application number from the university graduate application to create the GIMS account.
This GIMS system will require online submission of the following (no hardcopies):
- Three letters of recommendation from persons familiar with your academic or professional work and are willing to assess your aptitude for graduate work. Note: Once you have listed your recommenders and their email addresses the GIMS system will generate an email to your recommenders explaining the process to submit their letters electronically therefore the university graduate application cover form for letters of recommendation is not necessary.
- Academic Statement - The University Graduate Application Academic Statement will automatically populate in GIMS but you can edit this statement in GIMS if desired.
- Personal Statement - The University Graduate Application Personal Statement will automatically populate in GIMS but you can edit this statement in GIMS if desired.
- Please complete the research interests section.
- Resume or vita.
Step 3: Please send the following directly to the department:
- One official transcript from each university or college attended. Mail directly Nancy Ashley, School of Journalism, 340 Communication Arts & Sciences, Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI 48824-1212
- For International Applicants only: Statement of Finanacial Proof - For International graduate students who bring no dependents, financial proof is required for U.S. $33,214.00. If you plan to attend summer school, proof is required for an additional U.S. $13,106.00 for tuition and fees, books, and miscellaneous expenses. Please submit the financial statement with your application materials. For further information please contact the Office of Admissions at (517) 355-8332.
Step 4: Please send directly to the university:
Graduate Record Examination Scores (GRE)-when submitting scores please use the university code of 1465 and department code of 4503. Please note: The GRE will be changing to a new format as of August 2011 which will delay score reporting to the university. So, if you wish to be considered for the early review you must take the GRE before August 2011.
For International Applicants ONLY:
Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL); Paper version, a minimum average of 580 with no subscores below 55. For the Computer version a minimum average of 237 with no subscores below 21 required. For the internet based test an average of 93 minimum with no subscores below 21.When submitting scores please use the university code of 1465 and 83 for department code and submit directly to the Office of Admissions, 250 Administration Bldg. Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI 48824.
The GIMS system will allow the tracking of your application status online. This includes all documents. We strive to update the system regularly but during high volume times we ask your patience.
For additional information or questions please contact:
Nancy Ashley, email@example.com